Jul 27, 2012

Girl's Camp 2012 Part II

Logan and I woke up early and headed out of the camper to a nice cool morning. Logan and I played around while the girls did more camp certifications. Soon it was lunch time and Manuel (one of our neighbors) came up so he could take my place while Logan and I went home.

Logan was sad to leave since he likes to spend time with the girls as much as I do. We came down the canyon back into Logan and it looked like he was going to fall asleep in the car. I let him ride in the front seat since he get smacked on top of the head by the trunk hood of our car. We got home and I gathered some supplies we needed and then I jumped into a nice cool shower and use a real bathroom. I have this strange phobia of using the can while camping so I was happy to have a break from Girl's Camp. We ran to Smith's first to grab Sister Brown a Diet Coke (which Logan thought was so cool, "she is just like you dad!") and I dropped him off at Aunt Lynn's and I made my way back to camp singing Broadway tunes.

I had to walk up to camp from the lower parking lot. I packed my backpack with a ton of cheese and walked up. All of the leaders and girls were up by the fire when I came strolling in. Keisha saw me and yelled out "Doctor Pepper!" and ran down to the road towards me and about knocked me down as she hugged me. At first I was a little embarrassed by this show of affection and then I looked up and saw some other girls heading my way. Then I knew what was going on, they had just finished up this epic water fight and they were all soaked to the bone. They were trying to get me all wet as well! I knew something was amiss.

After I was "welcomed" back I grabbed some dinner and sat by Brother Atwood who was telling me that he really wished I was here for the water fight. I guess it was all the girls conspiring against him. I was suddenly very glad that I was gone for this activity. And then without any warning (thanks Atwood!) I got doused by this huge bowl of cold water. I jumped up and saw two girls running away, Serena and Anna. I raced right towards one of the large coolers of water and twisted off the top and looked savagely for the girls who wronged me. They ran into the food tent thinking that they were safe in there. Boy were they wrong! I crashed into the tent and both girls were in a different corner cowering. Poor Kenzie Davis was right in the middle washing her dishes like a good girl. I first drenched Serena and then I acted like I was going to get Kenzie and then I flung the water and got Anna! Anna then told me that she was innocent in the whole drenching and I didn't want to have gotten someone who didn't deserve it so I made a pact with her. I would get her her food and clean her dishes for the rest of the week. She accepted the terms of the deal which was good because I didn't want to watch my back and sleep with one eye open for the rest of the time here.

One of the things that girls do at Girl's Camp is to perform skits. Each group took a night to perform them (I forget which was which so I am cramming them all here) and they did a real good job with them. They were funny and they taught a principal of the Gospel while doing it. Then of course they got to sing all those silly camp songs.

Even the Leaders get into it.

Some were a little too excited for skits that they forgot when to deliver their lines.

This is EXACTLY what it looks like. Bharti knows how to make a garbage bag dress look good!

After Bharti got married she tossed some toilet paper like the wedding bouquet. Taylor was so happy she snagged some. I don't think I want to get in the way!

Look familiar? Yup, same song.

After all the skits and the girls went to their tents, Brother Atwood asked if we should have some leftovers. One thing I learned about this man is that he can certainly pack it away. We warmed up all the leftover chicken and some of the potatoes and we had a large hearty meal way late in the night. Before we were able to eat, Kayla came over to us, sadly she was sick. She had a fever, body and headaches and was not feeling  good at all. We got her some medication and I asked her if she would like a Priesthood blessing. Both Brother Atwood and I placed our hands on her head and blessed her. She then went back to her tent and slept the whole night. We were going to then eat when Bharti and another girl came over and said that she was struggling with panic attacks. Brother Atwood and I blessed her as well and invited them both to stay and eat with the rest of the leaders. I could tell that the blessing was working wonders already because she acted much more relaxed. I am thankful that I have the ability to do this.

I slept really good (must have been the food) so I woke up with a lot of energy for the new day which was nice and laid back. In the morning after a yummy breakfast and a great lunch the girls did their certification for camp. It was nice to walk around a bit and chat with the girls. I ended up sitting with my wife and a group of them and just sitting enjoying the shade and chatting. After lunch we headed to the lake to play around. We had a lot of girls and so we were thinking of cramming them in the camper so we could use as little vehicles as we could. I was not so comfortable driving the camper up the mountain with the girls in back so I voted not to do it. Shanda kinda felt the same way so we decided not to go and she also said that she didn't trust the truck to even work. We walked over to the camper and tried to turn it on and it was dead. She said that this does happen quite frequently. Kristy then mentioned that it was not worth risking the girls to save a measly five dollars anyway. I mentioned that you just watch, the camper will turn over when we get back so we know it was a good idea not to take it up the mountain.

We all climbed in our cars jammed and sang along with some music and went to the beautiful lake. One of our neighbors brought us all this extra gear to play with, kayaks and floaters. We walked to the beach area and I sat down in the shade and watched the girls have fun. It was nice to just sit and watch in the shade. I sat with a few other leaders and threw grapes at girls and other people and ate a ton of hummus.

Kristy took the kayak across the lake to meet the girls at the beach.

It looks like Rossy has no legs.

I absolutely love this picture. They are the sweetest girls.

After a few hours we packed up and came back to our campsite. That night at dinner we said goodbye to Brother Atwood since he had to go home. The girls presented both of us with a t-shirt they made for us, a huge "Thank You" card and we also got a Young Women pin that we can put on our suits. Interesting story about the pins. I knew about the pins since Logan and I went and got them Tuesday morning before we left. We got to the store and there were no pins left. I asked the guy and he said they were out. I was disappointed. Logan and I were about the leave when he said he remembered something. He walked behind the counter and pulled out this small little package. He said that someone ordered some a few weeks back and have not picked them up and that I was welcome to them. Out came three pins, the exact amount that I needed! 

Cool pin eh?

The front of my new shirt the girls made me. 

The girls wanted to give me a new nickname but luckily Kristy talked them out of it. But now instead of Dr. Pepper, I am now know as Sister Pepper. Not sure if that is a promotion or a demotion.

Shanda and I also went to try to figure out what we need to do with the camper. It was facing inward and it would be hard to get another car to try to jump it. We lifted the hood and tried the camper and nothing. Then I lightly pushed down on the battery cable and BOOM! the truck turned right over. Both Shanda and I looked at each other happily that the truck started but also amazed. We all think that this was not a coincidence. It was the right thing to do by not putting the girls in the truck. I joked to the girls when I told them this story that I saved their lives. Sure, nothing could have happened if we did take the camper. But deep down I feel that it could have ended up disastrous.

We told the girls to go to bed early since tomorrow was our huge hike. But us leaders stayed up late trying to scare the girls using the walkie-talkies we had. It didn't work as well as we wanted but at least it kept us very entertained!

No comments:

Post a Comment