Jan 17, 2012

Sing Along With...

This last December has been all about the music it seems. I joined the Logan Community Choir and performed on December 11th. I also sang in out Church choir and a special performance on the 18th and I also was invited to join the Logan High School's performance of the Messiah.


A few months ago I blogged that I joined the Logan Community Choir and I am so glad that I did. I had a hoot learning new music and also meeting new people. The performance is an annual tradition to drum up support and food for the Cache County Food Pantry and includes the Logan Community Choir, the Logan High Crimson Colony, the Westminister Bell Choir and the First Presbyterian Choir. I was a bit nervous that Sunday morning but after our Church choir practice, I was feeling pretty confident. My friends came and picked me up and I arrived in the beautiful Logan Tabernacle and I was no longer feeling nervous. There is just something about being in that awesome building. I was a bit disappointed that the building did not fill up but it was nice to have my parents attend to support me and it was very nice to see a few of my neighbors.


We sang the following songs:

  • Still, Still, Still -- I was not as comfortable with this song as the others, I could have used more practice with this one. It sounded phenomenal with the bell choir accompanying us. 
  • Breathe of Heaven -- Now I knew this song beforehand but had never attempted to sing it before. This  song is just so beautiful and the tenor part is absolutely fun to sing. 
  • The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy -- Now we are getting to the fun stuff. Beforehand they handed out these small plastic shakers for us to shake while we sung. This is way fun song to sing and it definitely has a spirit to it.
  • Praise His Holy Name -- Oh boy... ...this was intimidating since it asked for not only an insanely high tenor part but it also called for some movement. I will never forget this song. I managed to hit some notes that I didn't think I could hit and it was emotionally and physically draining.
  • The Hallelujah Chorus -- I wish we practiced this more. I think I might have been the only person in the choir(s) that have never sang it before. Luckily I found a cool tenor tutorial on YouTube that I used to practice. Hearing and feeling the organ pound was almost literally breathtaking. What a way to end it!
Can you see me?



That next Sunday we had our Christmas program at Church and it was amazing. Every one sang absolutely beautiful and I was impressed by our small group of very talented people. I was mostly nervous because I sang in a men's quartet. We sang I Know That My Redeemer Lives and I sang the melody. I was a little intimidated because the highest note is slightly out of my range and if I screw up, every one would know since I am singing the most familiar tune. But it went off without a hitch.


I even received in the mail a very nice and unexpected note from someone anonymous. It is so nice to get things like this. I really appreciate whoever sent this and to all those that supported me in these singing endeavors. It is greatly appreciated.

Kristy, Logan and I also attended the Christmas Program put on by Logan High. One of the girls that came to see me sing with the Logan Community Choir was singing tonight. I wanted to show her how much I appreciated her support by coming and supporting her. And one of my friends who sung with me also came and sat with us. At the bottom of the program it invited anyone who knew the Messiah to come and sing along. I was not going to go down but Logan and Danielle talked me into it. I am glad I went down, it was fun to perform that song again.

I never would have thought that one of my favorite hobbies would be to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment