May 19, 2011

From the Soapbox: R-E-S-P-E-C-T

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care ... TCB

Sing it Aretha!

Respect is a big deal to me. If you search my blog you will see that I mention the word "respect" in about 40 of my blogs. One thing that I cannot stand is a lack of respect. That doesn't mean you have to like everything but you still need to have a decorum of decency and be respectful.

Everyone has their own foibles. Everyone is different and I understand that. I am sure that what I do and what I am interested in grates some people the wrong way. And I am sure that my sense of humor can be discerning and rub people wrong too. But at least I can claim that I try my best to be respectful. Everyone deserves respect and everyone needs respect. The world would be a much better place if everyone tried their hardest to be respectful. And it is the right thing to do.

So I am sitting in my dad's office watching the charts when suddenly the lights are turned off with no words being said. Now you might think that someone may have accidentally turned the lights off. But this is no mistake since this is not the first time that this has happened. Now it is not like we are completely in the dark here, there is some light but there isn't enough light to read. I would consider it dark but that is just me.

There is someone in this household that is very anal when it comes to saving energy by turning off lights. I can understand that and I can respect that as well. What I don't get is how this person goes around and completes this mission. They just go about doing it without any regard or respect for anyone.


This irritates me because it is showing my dad and I a lack of respect. Even if you are fanatical about lights you still should respect others and what they feel. Even though I do not understand why someone would be so driven to do this and that it irritated me beyond belief, I didn't say a word. I could have easily said something, and I really could have said something extremely rude but I took the high road and said nothing. And I did this out of respect even though I turned the light back on and shut the door.

I wouldn't have been so ticked off if this person would have simply asked. Sure, I still would have been puzzled since I couldn't see any good reason for the light in the office to be shut off but I would have at least humored this person and complied. 

All it would have took was just a couple of words and I wouldn't have felt like I was disrespected. It seems that something so small and simple is now just being skipped altogether. It is a sad trend in society.

3 comments:

  1. So true! I totally understand what you mean and I think that you are absolutely right. It really just comes down to the Golden Rule, and if everyone would treat others the way they would want to be treated then there would be mutual respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Respect is usually not given because it takes time and it is not always easy to give. In our society nowadays, the "easy" route is the path most often taken. Sorry you're dealing with such disrespect, but kudos to you for taking the high road.

    ReplyDelete