May 16, 2011

Random Ramblings: Really?

Hurting: I am a little sore today. My biceps are quite tender and they feel like they could fall off at any moment. Last Friday I did a workout and then Saturday I played racquetball (on an already sore arm) and then I went and helped sandbag.

Flooding: I only live about two blocks away from the Logan River and it looks like we are in for some flooding here in a couple of weeks. The Blacksmith Fork River is already past flood stage (and I only live a few miles away from that river) and it looks like it may get even worse. I went up the canyon and helped sandbag one of the cabins that my neighbor owns. Man, those sandbags are incredibly heavy!

Loving: A few days ago I was asked if I would go back into the Primary for a couple of weeks at church. Yesterday was my first day back and I really missed it. I was helping teach the 5-year olds and it is really Comedy Central. I am looking forward to staying there for a couple of weeks and I am lobbying hard to make it official!

Loving Part II: Ever since I went and saw Thor last week I have been in a God of Thunder mood. I dug out a few old trade paperbacks of Thor that I had and I have been re-reading them. I have not read these for years and I am getting a kick out of them. I am reading and in the middle of the fantastic Walter Simonson run (Thor issues #337-382 along with the Balder the Brave #1-4) and I just finished one of my all-time favorite issues of that run (Thor #362) where the Executioner makes his valiant stand against the hordes of Hel. My favorite quote from the comic is when someone asked how the Executioner would be remembered.

"He stood alone at Gjallerbru. And that answer is enough."

Smiling: Last Thursday I got a nice package of comics in the mail. For the last couple of years I have been trimming down my massive comic collection. I am running out of room to handle them all but the real reason I am doing this is because I want a comic collection that is all stuff that I love. So I have been going through my collection and re-reading a ton of books and purging those books that just no longer cut the mustard. So far I have sold over 1,000 comics. One of the sites that I sell comics back to gives me double store credit and I trade comics for comics. Last Thursday I got a set of books that I am really looking forward to. But the one that I was excited for the most turned out to be quite the embarrassment for Marvel.

Shaking: Shaking my head and wagging my finger at Marvel Comics. There was a storyline running in Captain America that I really liked. It involved this character named Scourge who was going around and killing villains. He was shrouded in mystery and he appeared and killed villains in a ton of other Marvel comics like the Amazing Spider-Man, the Avengers and so forth. I wanted to get every single issue he appeared in when I was younger but I never got the chance. Fast forward twenty some odd years later and Marvel has collected all of Scourge's appearance along with all his killings from other books in one handy volume called Captain America: Scourge of the Underworld. And I was giddy with excitement!


Take a closer peek at the cover.

Really Marvel?

Yeah, they spelled Underworld wrong. How in the blue heck do you spell that wrong in the age of Spellcheck? Not only is it spelled wrong on the cover but also on the spine. How was it that this book was still published? How embarrassing and unprofessional for Marvel. You would think that they would be able to catch such an obvious mistake especially with Disney's deep pockets now backing them up. But then I still bought it and it is a beautiful reprint. So I guess it wasn't that* bad.


*yes it was.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, we were watching a Rockies game on the ROOT channel, and there in HD for everyone to read was the word RELEIF pitcher!!! What the heck? Remember i before e, ha! I love finding little typo's like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe there is a plan for it and there is a place called "underwolrd" ... even if that wasn't there plan, how cool would that be if they (Marvel) came out with the "Underwolrd" series?! They'd chuckle all the way to the bank on that one! :)

    ReplyDelete