May 17, 2011

Welcome To My Nightmare

No, I am not talking about the Alice Cooper song even though the title definitely fits this blog. A few months ago a friend of mine decided to keep what is called a Dream Journal. Every time he had a dream he would write it down as fast as he could upon waking before it faded away. I was kinda enthralled with that idea. I know that I have a lot of memorable dreams (at least those that I remember right?) and I would love to revisit them.

Now I don't believe that dreams have much meaning, if any. I am sure that we can learn about ourselves from our dreams and that dreams can help us get through things but I just think that they have any special meaning or have special tokens. But I do know that if I ever was in a tornado, I would know EXACTLY what to do since I have survived most of the tornadoes that I have dreamt about. Keeping a Dream Journal would be interesting to see the patterns. I know I dream about tornadoes a lot (just last Friday night) but if I kept a journal I would know how frequent they were. My dreams range from the downright scary (just last week I dreamt that I was attacked by the Devil himself) to the absolute cool (I dreamt I was an X-Man!) and to the absurd. And I also die in my dreams, I have been shot, stabbed, crushed and beaten to death in my dreams. Kristy does not like to hear about my dreams.


The other night I had a dream that felt and seemed so real. And it has been a dream that has stuck with me since. I think about it often and it is starting to drive me nuts. I dreamt about someone here in the neighborhood that I am friends with. I don't want to name names here since there is an outside chance he/she might see this and I don't want to embarrass them or creep them out that I had a dream about them.

The dream was normal enough. No flying pigs, tornadoes or anything like that. I had run into them while walking around the neighborhood and they had called me over. I walked over and this person asked a question that caught me off guard in my dream and still rests on my mind.
"Can I ask you a question?"
"Sure. What's up?"
"Why do you care?"
"About what?"
"Why do you care about me?"
I remember that I was taken back and didn't know what to say. I thought about how I knew them and the many times I have served them and how they have served me. But I just didn't know exactly what to say.

Then I woke up.

I don't get why this has bugged me and I certainly don't know why I cannot simply forget about this dream. It has been four days since that dream and I still think about it. I have tried to make sense of this and I have come to a couple of conclusions of why it bugs me.
  1. I think it bugs because this person should know darn well why I care about them. It should be pretty obvious. This person has served my family and I and has been a huge example to all of us. I have told this person many times how much I appreciate them and I look for ways to serve them. They should know that I love them.
  2. It also bugs me that I didn't have a chance to say anything to them when I was dreaming. They asked and I never answered. It was like I failed.
  3. Maybe I don't mean anything to them like they do to me. Maybe I am just off my rocker. I hope that is not the case but there is this small nagging doubt.
So why in the heck would I dream about something like this? And why am I still thinking about it? This is not the first time that a dream has made such an impact on me and stayed with me for days.



All I know is that my next dream better be one of my superhero ones. I don't think I could take another one of these serious drama dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Dream journal ... hmmm ... sounds like an intriguing idea for a Blog ... maybe next year I'll do just that ... eh, probably not. I'm sure I would freak people out and/or bore them to death. Not sure I could handle their analysis of what my dreams mean either.

    ReplyDelete