May 6, 2010

Special Thursday Confessional: Double Your Fat

Day 187

Usually confessionals are my Sunday column but today is a special day and I need to get something off my chest now.

I love fast food. I absolutely LOVE it and if I could I would eat out everyday. Luckily for my wallet and for my health I don't. I know I should be eating healthy and watching what I eat especially since I am no longer a spring chicken. I know this for a fact considering that is exactly what my doctor told me at my last appointment. He also told me to eat more fiber and take supplements like an old man.

Now I have been trying to watch what I eat and exercise more but that has not curbed my enthusiasm for fast food. I still crave it. I am a big believer in moderation and I feel that anything is good in moderation and I include fast food in this too.

Which brings me to the second part of my confession. That and my spring chicken comment.

Today my dad and I went to try KFC's new Double Down chicken sandwich. You know the one I am talking about. The sandwich that uses two pieces of fried chicken as buns. It has two pieces of cheese along with some sort of sauce and two strips of bacon. Totally unhealthy I know. Now I don't got to KFC that often, in fact it was last year that I went. I usually go for burgers and stuff like that but sometimes Colonel Sander's chicken beckons me and nothing will satisfy that particular craving.


I am sure some of you out there are thinking "How could you do that to yourself? Do you know how unhealthy that is? Do you want to kill yourself?"

It is not like I am eating one of these daily or once a week. I will probably not eat at KFC for another year so I think I can handle one sandwich. But I did a little research on this sandwich (if you can really call it that) to see how it compares to other fast food items I love. I am going to compare it to my favorite Carl's Jr meal I usually get when I eat out.

CARL's JR BIG CARL      920 Calories            59 Total Fat (g)
MEDIUM FRIES               460 Calories            22 Total Fat (g)
TOTAL                            1380 Calories         71 Total Fat (g)


KFC DOUBLE DOWN         540 Calories       32 Total Fat (g)
POTATO WEDGES               260 Calories       13 Total Fat (g)
TOTAL                                  800 Calories      45 Total Fat (g)

Suddenly I don't feel that guilty for eating that chicken sandwich. Considering I am saving 500 calories by eating that chicken sandwich. So I could eat 2 of those if I wanted to and still be around the same calorie intake. But I am not suicidal.

So how was the sandwich? If you like KFC chicken than you will really like this sandwich. The chicken was very juicy and the cheese and sauce were good. Both my dad and I thought you could do without the bacon. If I want KFC chicken, I want the chicken and not the bacon. I was a little disappointed in the size. It was a lot smaller than I thought it would be but after eating it, I am thankful it was smaller than I thought. And my heart was thankful. Along with my arteries. This did cure me of my KFC craving and I probably won't go again for awhile. Unless it is to try the grilled version of the Double Down.


Again, eating this sandwich will not kill you if you are eating fast food in moderation.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post!! Can't believe your doctor told you to eat more fiber!!! :P

    ReplyDelete