May 21, 2010

From the Soap Box: Jerks who Tailgate

Day 202

Last night I was driving over to my dad's to work and it was around 11:00 at night. For the last 3 miles I was tailed by some inconsiderate jerk who tailgated me right to my dad's house.

I already knew who it was since I have been tailgated a few times heading to my dad's. And sure enough it was this lousy neighbor that was tailing me once again.


Every time I got to a stop sign he would at first keep his distance when he had to stop but then he had to catch up and ride my butt the rest of the time. It was not like I was driving my car like an old lady. I was going just above the speed limit but that was not good enough for this dork. He could have passed me easily, there is a long stretch of road that he could have but he decided it would be best to make sure that he could see my bumper. I don't care if there isn't any other cars on the road or that it was 11:00 at night. I will obey the law and get to my destination safely. If you want to speed, be my guest, you can go ahead and pass me.

As I turned into my dad's street I rolled my eyes because I knew it was that stupid neighbor up the street and I knew he would be RIGHT behind me as I pulled over. I quickly veered out of the way and as he passed by I showed him a sign of displeasure. I know, I know, very mature right? But that is my cross to bear. As he passed by he gunned his car and drove to the house on the corner about half a block up. He screeched into his driveway as I got out of my car.


As I was walking up the walk to my dad's house I noticed that he was walking toward me. He must have seen me "wave" as he passed by. I opened the screen door and looked over and he was definitely heading over. I was about to knock on the door but instead I turned to the guy and waited for the guy to get closer. He saw that I was just waiting for him and he stopped and walked back to his car. I stayed and watched him go into his house before I went inside.

Maybe I just don't understand the mentality of those that like to tailgate others. Are they just trying to keep me safe by driving real close to make sure I am paying attention. Do they get a thrill in doing it? Do they really think that shredding 13 seconds off of their commute will really impact their life? I mean that is an extra 6 and a half minutes saved a month!

I cannot stand tailgaters. I am positive that these are the same people that beat their pets and talk during movies. The same people that drive like they own the road, the same people that don't pick up their dog crap and just leave it on your lawn. The same inconsiderate and uninformed people that bandwagon sports team and political stances. The same people that throw their cigarette butts out their car window and the same people that call Family Guy the funniest show on TV  (OK, now I am just being cruel here). They are the same people that think their farts don't stink.

Well, guess what? Your farts DO stink.


And just for your information. I have insurance and a crappy car. So if you want to hit me from behind when I slam on my brakes because you are tailgating, go for it!

1 comment: