Oct 13, 2010

From the Soap Box: Irresponsibility

Day 347

I think I am running out of things to blog about. Which is why I am doing one of these blogs, I can always find something to complain about right?

Monday we had our first Parent-Teacher Conference for Logan. We went in and met his teacher and discussed how Logan was doing in his studies and socially. The one thing that his teacher said to us really made me proud. She said he was very respectful. And that is the one thing that I want my son to learn, is how to be respectful and therefore responsible.

Who says comics cannot teach you anything?

"With great power comes great responsibility"

These are the words that I would want my son to grow up with. He may not have mutant powers or was bitten by a radioactive spider but he does have power in his own right. He can be responsible and respectful to others around him. He can make this world a better place by doing this.

A lack of respect for things gives way to a lack of responsibility. Unfortunately that seems to be the way the world is turning. People only care for themselves and while they think they are doing good by taking care of themselves they are ultimately screwing someone else over.

Because in all of the whole human race, Mrs. Lovett
There two kinds of men
And only two
There's the one staying put in his proper place
And the one with his foot in the other one's face
Sweeney Todd just nails it on the head here. It seems like the world is filled now with more people that are stepping on others.

No one likes a foot in the face. Especially these ones.

I shake my head whenever I hear of people taking advantage of other people. And it saddens me even further when I see families squabble and step on each other's faces. I just don't get it when families split apart over material matters or other inconsequential things. Maybe the reason I don't understand it is because I have never had any horrible experiences or perhaps it is because I was taught differently.

I was taught to respect others. No matter what race or religion or what makes us different, I was taught to respect others and what they do and believe. Because of this simple teaching, I was then taught to be responsible. If I have ever wronged anyone, I try my best to make up the situation. Because I believe that this life is not what matters, what matters more is what comes after this life. And this life is too short to spend it on such trivial matters. What matters most to me is my family and friends and I extend that to my neighbors and my fellow man. We can all enjoy this life together if we just behave.

I walk a fairly popular river trail. And it bugs the heck out of me when I see people who let there dogs crap all over the place. I am not a dog fan but I am willing to share that trail with those who want to go there with their dogs. I can respect that. But I would like to be treated the same way. So I would think that those dog owners would pick up the dog crap. They have bags and disposal places and everything there. All they have to do is just lean down and pick it up. I am sure it is unsavory and not a fun thing to do but do it anyway. I don't want to see it, I don't want to step in it. I am positive that the ones that leave it don't want to step in it either.

If only we could train our dogs to do it on their own. But since they can't wouldn't it then be on the owner's shoulders to clean it up?

The one trend that I have seen happening lately that really aggravates me and is really destroying society is the irresponsibility with finances. Now I am not talking about poor people here. I am talking about those that live way above and beyond their means. They buy all this stuff and do all these things and then decide not to pay for them. Lately I have seen these commercials for places that will assist you with your debt and how they can shrink your debt and settle for less so you pay less. How is this fair to all those that pay regularly and are responsible? It is not fair at all. By doing this they are essentially putting their foot in someones face.

And unfortunately they may not realize it but they are putting their foot in their children's face. I am sure every parent out there wants their child to be respectful and responsible. But how can we expect out children to do it when all they see is a foot in their face? How can I expect Logan to be responsible and respectful if I in turn am not?

Now I am not perfect and I don't claim to be either. But if we want to live together in a safe and happy environment we need to live and be governed by the rules. We need to be respectful of others. We need to be responsible for our actions. Whether it is picking up dog poo or taking responsibilities over our financial decisions.

It is a hard road to travel but one that is well worth traveling.
And while we are traveling down that road, make sure you pick up your dog crap along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Well said there!! I completely agree with your assessments/statements about today's society, with regards to responsibility! I also loved that you included lyrics from "Sweeney Todd" (I started hearing the song in my head!) I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete