Nov 8, 2009

Sunday Confessional: Get Your Jersey On!

I have a confession to make. I have a few actually. So here is my first in a series of confessions.

There are some people think it is white trash to wear sports jerseys. Some people think it is okay to wear them ONLY at games. I am not one of those guys. I am a big NFL fan and I admit that I have a ton of jerseys. Most of them I have worn out in public. Now bear in mind, I only wear them during the NFL season. And I am picky about which ones I wear and on what day. If one of my teams is playing, I will be wearing a jersey. And usually under that I have some sort of team shirt on too. And if it is cold, I have a sweater or jacket with the team logo on it. Every Sunday, even if I am going to church, I have either a jersey or team shirt under my suit. No one can see it, only I know it is there. And yes, there is football on today and I am wearing a jersey while writing this. But I will take it off when for family pictures this afternoon.


Logan and I snuggling watching football. Notice the team blankets? I have a Jets one on and there is a Ravens one next to it.

Am I superstitious? A little bit, even though it doesn't really work anyway. My teams rarely have success unfortunately. But I will do my best by supporting my team by wearing their colors and jerseys proudly! So how many jerseys do I have? You might be surprised. The New York Jets are my favorite team followed by the Green Bay Packers, Baltimore Ravens and the Kansas City Chiefs. The Jets and Ravens I will follow no matter what. The Chiefs and Packers were all about players that played on their teams. Sterling Sharpe and Brett Favre were my favorite Packer players but I will not support the Packers again until Favre officially retires. I guess that means until he dies. Tony Gonzales and the great Joe Montana made me Chief fans and even though they are not there anymore, I still vote for them. I really mostly like the Chiefs because of my dislike of the Broncos. So believe it or not, here is a list of jerseys that I own:

NY JETS: #19 Keyshawn Johnson (bought this in New York)
NY JETS: #7 Boomer Esiason
NY JETS: #28 Curtis Martin
NY JETS: #51 Jonathon Vilma (I still like Vilma but since he left for the Saints I removed his nameplate so I have a blank #51. I also got this for free for entering a sweepstakes on Amazon)
NY JETS: #4 Brett Favre (white away jersey)

GB PACKERS: #4 Brett Favre (home jersey)
GB PACKERS: #4 Brett Favre (yellow alternate jersey)
GB PACKERS: #84 Sterling Sharpe (favorite wide receiver)
I also have an official Cheese-head that my mom's friend got for me when she visited Green Bay on a business trip. She carried it on her lap the whole flight home. Thanks Julie!

BALTIMORE RAVENS: #52 Ray Lewis (I got this jersey the year before they went to the SuperBowl)

KC CHIEFS: #89 Andre Rison (I liked Rison and it was only $20)
KC CHIEFS: #19 Joe Montana (why I became a Chiefs fan)

I used to get a new jersey every other football season but they have gotten ridiculously pricey. They used to be around $45 for a replica now they are close to $90! There are a few more retro jerseys I would love to have and I will browse eBay every once in awhile looking for some. Now I am more interested in getting some more shirts. I would love some socks too, they look so comfortable.


And I have passed this tradition on to my son Logan very early in life. We watched out first Jets game (we beat the Pats) just a few hours after his birth.


He actually wanted to wear it for this picture and who am I to complain?


I am such a proud poppa!

4 comments:

  1. I can't decide if now we all know what to get you, or what not to get you for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many?!?!? When Logan gets old enough to fit into your tops will you be letting him wear them if he wants?

    I think this has to be a male thing with the team shirts, Daz and Callum have a few and each year Daz wants to get Callum a new Arsenal kit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Logan will be allowed to wear some of them, but not all of them!

    ReplyDelete