Nov 7, 2009

When Kristy Met Matt: The Conclusion

Kristy was now home for summer in West Jordan, a couple of hours south of where I was. At this time I was taking an acting class and we had to go to Salt Lake City every other Thursday to work on our acting portfolio for the Eastman Agency. Salt Lake was not far from West Jordan at all so I had the perfect opportunity to see her and visit her family as well.

She would come up on the weekend to visit her sister Lynn (it was just an excuse to see me though) and she also had a wedding reception for her former roommate Heidi. I was grilled by all of our roommates about what was taking so long. I told them that while I am only going 3MPH (miles per hour) I would still get there!

We saw each other at least weekly, with her either coming up or me going down and it was a lot of fun. But I wanted to know for sure if having a relationship with her was something she wanted too. Our next date was the one where I would figure this all out. I got tickets to see Les Miserables down in Salt Lake so I drove down and picked her up. We ate dinner at the Training Table (a yummy Utah stable) and we parked the car and walked to the Capital Theatre. We should have brought some tissue, not because that the musical was sad (and it did have its moments) but because we had bloody noses because our seats were so far up! The musical was just as good as I remembered it (I saw it already in New York) And Kristy really liked it too. After the play we walked back to the car and I took her hand. I was bringing her back to Logan so we went back to her parent's house and she packed and got ready. The drive home was great. I told her how much I loved being with her and I wanted to know if we should continue. She nodded (too shy I guess) and I took her hand again and told her she was the best thing that has happened to me.





Kristy had to come up for another weekend for a Track meeting at Utah State so we planned a date for that weekend. My friend Lared got a date himself (Carrissa) and we planned something fun. I called Kristy and I told her to dress all in white if possible. I dressed in purple, Lared dressed in green and Carrissa dressed in blue. Why? Because we went and played Clue at the mall and got Orange Julius for drinks. We were supposed to be dressed like our characters. We played a couple of board games at the mall. The mall people let us stay while they cleaned up and closed the mall. We took them home later that evening and told then that we would be back tomorrow night. We had another strange date planned.

One of my favorite date ideas to do with Lared was to take the girls to a grocery store and have them pick an item that they would be willing to eat. No condiments and nothing raw were the only rules. Lared and I would also pick out something too but we knew what was going on, they didn't. Kristy picked out sugar cookie dough, Lared and I picked out some Mixed Fruit Jello and Carrissa picked out a sausage. We went and paid for them and then headed to the local ice cream shop, Charlie's. We gave the waitresses the items and told them to make a shake for each one of them. And we had to eat them since we all said we were willing to eat them. I was so glad that I tipped Kristy off to get something sweet. The Jello one was not that great but the sausage one was horrible! But we finished them. You think that is gross? Wait till you find out what items were chosen when we did it last time! Kristy had a great sense of humor and I was finding myself much more comfortable being around her.

The next day I went and met Lared and we picked up Missy and Kristy and we headed to Hailey, Idaho to visit their roommate Angela. That was a pretty long road trip but it was fun singing and cracking jokes. We got to Angela's house and met her parents. Her mom was so excited to meet me. "Oh your Matt! The one dating Kristy!" I guess that made it official. "You know Angela has not had date one since she has been home!" Such a funny lady. It was during this trip that everything was all out in the open. Kristy and I were dating officially and I never dated another girl.

Hailey is a pretty place nestled in a canyon. We took a tour of the city with Angela and we saw Arnold Schwarzenegger's summer mansion. It was so big! I could probably live there and he would have no idea it was so big. We all went to the park and fed some ducks and birds. Lared was the Bird King. He sat down in a chair and all these birds surrounded him and he gently fed the birds. Kristy and I on the other hand were a little more fearful (as you can see in the picture below). I don't care for birds chasing me around and pecking at my feet. I was feeding the ducks talking to Missy when suddenly we hear this small yell. It was Kristy. We turned and saw her run away from the lake and right behind her was this large goose. She didn't think it was funny but Missy and I certainly did. The drive home was fun. It was nice to have the relationship all in the open now. Missy and Lared were certainly grumpy all the way home. I accidentally took a wrong turn and we drove past Snake River and we saw a beautiful canyon. The walls that surrounded the river were so high. But Missy and Lared didn't care, all they did was complain like little children!



We dated for about a year or so when I finally popped the question. But that is another column.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww. It sounds like you and Kristy were made for each other.

    And talking of geese reminds me of a story I could do on Callum's blog about Canadian Geese.

    ReplyDelete