Nov 29, 2009

Sunday Confessional: The Hair-Do

Day 29

Every once in awhile I like to change things up. After I graduated from high school I decided to do something that I never thought I would ever do.

I got a perm.

Like a real perm. Why? Beats me. I liked the look of having wavy hair. This was supposed to be a loose perm. So I went to my favorite hairdresser, Shirley Whitman, and set up a time for a perm.

So I went to get my hair permed and I spent the next couple of hours chatting with Shirely as she permed my hair. Shirely is fantastic to talk too, you can never run out of things to speak about with her and the time passed by so quickly. And then it was time to unveil the perm and I will never forget seeing myself for the first time with my hair permed. She had just finished blow drying my hair and she turned me around to the large mirror. And I broke down. I just burst out laughing. Then she laughed, which made me laugh even more. It was a good twenty minutes later that we stopped laughing. I just looked ridiculous. It was tighter than we both thought but after a few days it really looked nice. Surprisingly, that night I went to visit one of the girls I was interested at work and she LOVED it. Interesting to note though, she did stand me up on my next date and I was so heartbroken that I never asked her out again.



I still got my haircut by Shirley for many years after. I even interviewed her for the local paper, the Herald Journal, that was published. In that article I even included this very experience. But I never have got my hair permed again.


There are only a few pictures in that exist that show photographic evidence of my perm. And I like that just fine. It was like the brief time I had a small pony tail. I actually had it but there is no evidence to prove it.

Shirley is quite the character. She tried to embarrass me with a fart machine one time I got my haircut. She also came with my mom, Kristy and I to "The Music of the Night" which showcased the best of Andrew Lloyd Webber in Ogden and went to dinner with us. I don't think we ever laughed so hard.

3 comments:

  1. Nice 'do Matt!! Wow! You actually worked the perm, in my opinion. The craziest hairdo I ever tried to work was when I had a mullet in the early 90's. Fortunately, I chopped it off the weekend of your mission homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How old were you when you had the pony tail? Wasn't it just a couple of years ago ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the perm finally relaxed, it was not so bad. But it took weeks for it to finally relax.

    RE: Andrea
    You knew me a few years ago, did I have long hair then? Looking at me now, that would be surprising.

    ReplyDelete