Nov 3, 2009

When Kristy Met Matt: Part 1

DAY 3

I get asked this question quite a bit. Especially now that Kristy works with the Young Women. They all want to know if I asked Kristy to marry her all romantic like or if we knew we were for each other on our first date. I am not a romantic guy, I can be cheesy but I am not all that romantic. Sorry people, don't expect a romantic story here.

I was coming off a bad break up. Well, it really wasn't much of a breakup since she did it over the phone while I was sicker than a dog. I guess it was not much of a real relationship since she was cheating on me anyway. My last girlfriend was using me to lure her boyfriend to propose and marry her. Mission accomplished! My friend Lared was wise because he never really liked her. I knew things were heading downhill and it really hit when Lared called me and said she was macking with some guy that was not me. Soon after I was dumped. The only good thing that came out of that relationship was Scott and Kari. Kari was her roommate and I set her up with Scott and they ended up getting married. It was totally worth the heartache I went through to have them happy. I was the ultimate wing man! Funny thing is that she had the nerve to invite me to the wedding and wedding reception. Yeah right lady.

Anyway I was down in the dumps and went completely Anti-Girls. I decided to grow a goatee (as was the style at the time) because I could care less about dating and meeting girls. I felt bad for my friend Lared because he wanted to double date all the time and I barely had any interest. I took a marriage class at the LDS Institute and my teacher Bro. Gudmunson said that after you have been burned and spurned you would found the one you would marry right after. He was right.


My best friend in high school, Damond Peterson was running for Service Vice President for Utah State University and he asked me to help campaign for me. He was then dating his campaign manager, a pretty girl named Christa. I was happy to help out when I was available. Lared and I went from dorm to dorm and provided service for each door we knocked on. Whether it was washing dishes or taking the garbage out we got Damond's name out there by doing the service and handing them this little flyer. My hands were so wrinkly from washing all those dishes and some of those dishes were disgusting. After one of our outings Krista held a meeting at her apartment for all the volunteers that were helping Damond so Lared and I went. That is when I was first introduced to all of Krista's roommates. And they were all pretty which delighted Lared. I thought so too but at that time I could care less. But then this little blond girl came in from running and ran up the stairs and she caught my eye. The frost was starting to thaw. I had a girl I was interested in.


As it turned out it was awhile before I actually would take her out. One day I saw her on campus. It was snowing pretty hard and I tried to hit her with a few snowballs. I caught up with her and we talked and I knew I wanted to date her. But I was not totally ready just yet. Something was standing in my way and his name was Eric.

Eric was a former roommate of Lared and was a pretty cool guy and I considered him a good friend. We introduced him to the Girls of G4 (that was the apartment number at the Old Farm Apartments) and he was also interested in Kristy. At first I was okay with it, I was still a bit Anti-Girl and it didn't help matters that all of Kristy's roommates wanted Eric to take her out. One time Lared and I stopped by G4 and Kristy was the only one there and we took her over to Eric's apartment to see a movie with a group of friends. Eric was totally interested in her. One time Lared and I were running around and we dropped by Eric's to see if we could use the phone and Missy and Kristy were there playing games. I was so jealous and mad. They invited us in and we played some games but honestly I was still steamed at the idea that Eric was making moves on Kristy. I became frustrated because Eric was there all the time with her and I couldn't take it anymore and became Anti once again.

Then something happened that completely changed the game. Lared, Eric and I were heading to a dance at the University and we were talking about girls. Eric asked "You dig Kristy right? Why don't you ask her out?" My reply was "No." I explained that the reason was I don't want to cause any problems and I was fine with him taking her out. "That's weak!" is what he told me back. And that irritated me. It totally struck a nerve.

So what did I do? I took Kristy's roommate Angel out. That will show them! Angel was such a nice girl, she knew I was interested in Kristy. We had a cool date, we were in a large group with Lared taking out Angela (another one of Kristy's roommates) but unfortunately Eric was with Kristy. We cooked up some breakfast food on the roof of Thomas Jeweler's in downtown Logan. Afterward we went bowling and it was a lot of fun even though my eyes were not on Angel and I was irritated and it showed. I couldn't stand seeing Eric have a good time with her. Angel knew this and was a great friend to have at the time. She told me not to give up and I didn't.


Left to Right: Kristy with the arch rival Eric, Angel and I, Angela and Lared.

Stay tuned for Part II. It involves our first big date which included being chased by cops!

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic... You are quite the writer. My blog is such a mess. I think that I am going to have to copy your format and start introducing my family and friends so that readers have a history on those I am referring to... Would you be bugged?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Matt, look at young you!!! Please tell me today is the 2nd installment I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation of how you lured Kristy away from Eric's evil crutches, how you proposed (and I bet it is more romantic than you think) and I especially want to hear this being chased by cops story!

    ReplyDelete