Apr 30, 2010

List-Mania: U2 Songs

Day 181

About a month or two ago I put together a List-Mania entry listing my favorite Queen songs and that was a lot of fun so I thought I would take a stab at my second favorite band, U2.
I started to listen to U2 around the same time everyone else did when they released the Joshua Tree. But I have to admit that I was not totally into the album. It was good and it had some good songs but it didn't make an impact on me. I bought Rattle and Hum and liked it quite a bit but at that time I wouldn't call U2 one of my favorite bands.

It wasn't until Actung Baby was released that I paid attention. I do admit that when I heard thier first single The Fly, I didn't like it at all. In fact I remember commenting that whoever this band was they were horrible. But then the more I heard the song, the more I loved it and finally I bought the album and LOVED it.

But Zooropa is what really won me over as a fan. That album is my all-time favorite U2 album. And from that point on, I was a major fan and picked up every album since.

So here are my Top 5 U2 songs. I love these songs not for the videos.

5) Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)

Everytime this song pops up on my iTunes/iPod, I stop and listen. One of the few songs that I cannot do anything else but listen. Such a beautiful and haunting song.

4) The Wanderer (U2 and Johnny Cash)

This song was the last one on the Zooropa album and really summed up what I love about U2. I can't imagine anyone but Johnny Cash singing this. This showed me how diversive U2's work is. Such a fitting end to a great album. Johnny Cash is such a perfect fit for this song, it is like he lived this song himself.

3) Discotheque

Pop was another album that I didn't like at first but it certainly grew on me. But it didn't take me long at all to love this song. The thumping bass and drums along with one of the catchiest guitar riffs really drive me. I can listen to this song anytime and it makes me want to boogie.

2) Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)

The 2nd song from the album Zooropa. I prefer this mix to the original even though I love that one just the same. I don't know why this song gets me but there is something about the beat and radio frequency-like main chord (I just can't describe it) combined with the lyrics.

1) With or Without You

I own a bass guitar but I don't play it very often but this is one of the songs that I made myself learn. Even though I didn't like the Joshua Tree as much as the other albums, this song was definitely my favorite.

There are a ton of other U2 songs that I think are fantastic but these are the ones that get the most play on my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment