Dec 14, 2009

Christmas Memories: The Hamster

Day 44

This month is going to be loaded with Christmas memories. One Christmas I remember in particular is when my sister Jennifer got a hamster for Christmas.

I remember sneaking out during the middle of the night to look around and see what Santa brought me. I was curious that on this desk that Jennifer got was this round, red cage. I looked in but could not see anything, it was still dark. So I had to wait until the morning.

Jennifer got a hamster that she named Midnite. He was named that because he was up and running around at midnight and because he was this beautiful creme color, opposite of black.


Jennifer and I loved this hamster. That is until it chewed through one of her favorite stuffed animals. I think it was a koala. All I can remember is hearing the yelling. I came into her room and Jennifer was so mad, I thought she was going to bounce that hamster off the ceiling.

I also remember one time Jennifer was at school so I snuck in her room to see her hamster and there was this note pinned on the cage. It said "Leave me alone!" I was so crushed. I wanted a hamster too! But that is okay because karma came around and I did get a hamster of my own. But that is a separate column.

Speaking of karma, I remember Midnite biting me hard on my finger, making me bleed. Jennifer said it was because Midnite didn't like me. She claimed that he would never bite her. So she held him upside down by his hind legs and kissed him on the nose. I guess Midnite didn't like that because he nipped her right between the nose holes. Oh karma, I sure love you!


Midnite was a good pet. We were sad when he finally died. We buried him in our backyard in the sunflowers. We never had a pet before and it was so sad to see him pass away.

3 comments:

  1. Geez, your sister didn't seem to be a very nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is just typical brother/sister behavior that we can all laugh at now that we are older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I have no recollection of the "note". That was some talented hamster!

    ReplyDelete