Dec 6, 2009

Sunday Confessional: My 2nd Biggest Addiction

Day 36

A couple of Sundays ago I revealed that I am addicted to comics. This Sunday I am admitting to another addiction that goes pretty much hand-in-hand with comic books.

Whenever I get my monthly shipment of comics (I order them online) I like to have something to drink while I am flipping through my new books. There rarely is a day when I don't have one. And I have been known to drink quite a few of them in a day too. My 2nd biggest addiction is soda.

And I don't call it pop either. Ever since I came home from New York, I call it soda. I will never forget trying to order an orange pop at a pizza place in Brooklyn. It took forever for us to understand each other, so soda it is!

I remember back in the 9th grade. I was locker pals with a kid named named Gregg and we drank Mountain Dew ALL day. We would have one before school, during school, at lunch and probably one on the way home. We kept all of our cans at the bottom of the locker and we spilt some one day and never cleaned it up. It solidified into a half-inch layer of Dew. I don't know how we passed locker inspections at the end of the year, I think I threw a backpack on it to cover it up.

Now I try to limit my consumption. I am trying to do one a day. I know that may seem like that is still quite a lot but I think one a day is good enough. Except on Sundays when football is on, I may sneak two in that day.

So what are my favorite sodas? I drink pretty much anything but if I could have my choice of soda, RIGHT NOW, I would pick the following.

1) Lime Crush
This was my favorite soda all growing up. It was not like Sprite or other Lemon-Lime sodas, it had its own flavor. It had a rich Lime flavor that tasted sour crossed with a green Lifesaver. Sadly, this is only available in Canada and even sadder then that it has been discontinued. If I could find the stuff, I would order me a case. The closest thing that I have found that tastes like it is Tiger Wood's Lime Gatorade.



2) Stewart's Cherry Cream Soda
My friend Joel turned me on to these soda makers. I first tried the Key Lime soda (hoping it was like Lime Crush) and it was pretty good. But then I tried the Cherry Cream and that instantly became my favorite. It is extremely sweet, it is not a soda that I can guzzle. You have to sip this soda. It has a sweet Cherry flavor, that kind of reminds me of cough syrup. Sadly, this soda is not available in my area as it used to be. I can find all the other flavors but this one.

3) Mountain Dew Livewire
I love Mountain Dew in all its forms but the best one that I have ever tasted is its Livewire. It is a mix of Sunkist Orange Soda and Mountain Dew. This came out as a promotion and I bought tons of it. Now it is part of the Mountain Dew family and is available everywhere. But Cache Valley. Sadly, (notice the trend here?) I have to travel a few hours out of the valley to snag some of this awesome soda. At least I can still get it. My mother-in-law will get me this soda for my birthday or other special occasions.

4) Ironport
Ironport is an old-fashioned soda that was served in the early 20th century locally. It can still be found in parts of the West, mostly in Utah. It tastes a little like champagne cola or Inca cola but a lot toned down. I can never find it bottled (although I found a picture of one here) but I can find it at two of my favorite restaurants where I live. Whenever I hit Juniper Takeout or the Bluebird, I always get an Ironport. You can also get a Cherry Ironport too. Kristy and I went out last night to the Bluebird for her birthday and I had two excellent glasses of Ironport.

5) Freshly Brewed Ginger Ale
I thought I liked Ginger Ale, Canada Dry is fantastic stuff but then I went to a local steakhouse and they home brewed their own Ginger Ale. It was unbelievable, the place was known for its steaks but it will forever be known for me as the place to get Ginger Ale. Sadly, I have gone back twice to eat there and each time they are not brewing it anymore. I have tried numerous gourmet Ginger Ale sodas but nothing matches it. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Until then, Canada Dry it is.

Now I'm thirsty.

There was a soda that I was not a fan of that I eventually really began to like. I was on my LDS mission in New York. One of the guys I lived with was very proud of being an Inca. So he would buy this awful soda and my companion and I would sneak drinks out of it. It would drive him nuts, he would get so mad about it. So one day we went to the local bodega to grab some snacks and Reese (my companion) and I thought it would be funny to buy some Inca Cola. Pena (the Inca) was always accusing us of drinking his Inca Cola (which we were because I didn't like him all that much and I was starting to acquire a taste for it) and so we thought it would be funny to get some of our own to mock him. He came home and we showed him that we bought our own 2-liter Inca Cola and he was ecstatic. He wanted to get a picture of all of us drinking it. He ran to get his camera and I whispered to Reese that we should turn our backs and moon the camera. Pena came back all excited and Phil (our other roommate) took the picture. Both Reese and I turned our backs and we mooned the camera without Pena knowing. Phil lost it and Pena thought he was just excited like he was. Boy, was he mad when he developed the pictures and saw a couple of full moons.


I had to edit the original pic for more sensitive readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment