Dec 13, 2009

Sunday Confessional: Christmas Edition

Day 43

One of my favorite things to do for Christmas is snooping. I admit it, I love to snoop for my gifts. Half of the fun of getting gifts is when you find out beforehand what you are getting. It makes me even more excited for Christmas morning to come.

I know, I know. That is a horrible thing especially at Christmas. We should be finding happiness in giving gifts and not the receiving. And I do get a lot of joy giving but I'll be perfectly honest here. I like getting gifts and who really doesn't like getting gifts? But for me, the best part of getting gifts is doing the detective work, narrowing down the suspects and finally seeing the evidence firsthand.

I am notorious at this. I have done this for as long as I remember and I was taught by the master.


One night my parents went out on the town, if I remember right they were attending the opera. My sister Jennifer was in charge of babysitting me and as always we had a great time. My sister and I looked for our Christmas gifts and she found them in the hall closet. One of my gifts was this helmet, I think it was either a policeman or fireman's helmet. I tried it on and played around. My parents must have come home early and found me still wearing that helmet.

Did that ruin my Christmas? Not at all, in fact knowing just made me anticipate Christmas morning even more!

This sort of behavior has continued all throughout my life. But then I was taught how to snoop without even looking around the house. Just grab your mom's purse and look for the Christmas list. That made life a lot easier since you can find it all in one place but the only bad thing was that if your mom's purse was at home, she was too. So you had to wait until the middle of the night or when she was really busy.

My parents got a little smarter, they started to hide the presents at their offices at work. So I might not have found the actual gifts themselves but we still had the list in the purse.

Kristy hides the lists (now that she has found out that I like to snoop through the purse to find the shopping list) and she also wraps all the presents weeks before. In fact, just the other night she wrapped them all. So even if I do find them, they will be wrapped. But that won't stop me much from looking for them. And the Christmas Season is not the only time that I will look for goodies. I do this around my birthday too.

I do want to apologize to my family for faking how surprised I was Christmas morning. I had fantastic parents and even with all the snooping and list-reading, they still had a few surprises.

And this year I have not snooped at all.

At least not yet...

2 comments:

  1. Lol! You're such a kid Matt.

    Oh and don't let presents that are already wrapped stop you, I sure didn't one Christmas when I was young. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and my brother Josh are one in the same, when it comes to snooping with the Christmas presents. He specialized in figuring out what the presents were under the tree, using very clever methods so that the presents appeared untampered.

    ReplyDelete