Dec 11, 2009

List-Mania: All Mom Edition!

Day 41

Today is my mom's birthday. She will always be only 41 years old. Even when I get to that age, she will still be 41.

Today is supposed to be one of my List-Mania columns but it is my mom's birthday. I am very detail oriented and I am very scheduled (re: anal) so how can I fix this? Very easy, I will steal my sister's idea of spotlighting people on their birthday and then combine it with some sort of list.

But I didn't want to make a sweet and sappy column devoted to my mom, those are just not my style and besides, I have still have Mother's Day to deal with later in the year. So instead, I am going to post a list of things you may not have known about my mom. These are in no particular order. And because my mom absolutely likes to be in pictures, I will post as many as I can! Only kidding, I cannot find that many.


1) My mom loves hot air balloons. She has always wanted to ride one. She has pictures and pins and shirts of hot air balloons. Maybe one day she will have a chance to ride one.

2) Her celebrity crush is Sam Elliot. I do admit that he is a fine looking fella. She also likes the wrestler Ric Flair. But that is for another column.

3) She bought the house she wanted when she was growing up. When she was growing up she loved this white house on the corner. Who would have thought that many years later she would actually buy it.


4) She made up a lot of family favorite recipes from scratch. She made up some fantastic dinners all from scratch. Stuffed Peppers, Chicken and Rice and Broccoli Bake are probably my favorites. And they live on in my family too. She made up a lot of other dinners that we loved as kids. Except for Spanish Rice.
(just teasing you mom; we ate it so it must have been good. It was nowhere near the level of hate Lentil Soup was)

5) She bought herself a hot red sports car. After I graduated from high school mom bought herself a new car. And not just any car, she bought herself a new bright red Laser. Everyone in the neighborhood thought I got it for graduating. Nope. It was my mom's.


6) She is a huge football fan. I got my love of the NFL from her. We must have watched hundreds of games together. Sundays were one of my favorite days growing up when we moved to the States because we spent time watching football. We still do it today. She will come over a few times during the season and we always watch the SuperBowl together (with weather permitting). She loves the Redskins but hates the Chiefs. So I am not sure if she is racist or not! (kidding again)

7) She handmade Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy dolls. Back in Canada she used to do a lot of sewing. She made Jennifer (my sis) a lot of dresses for her and her dolls. And then she started to make these cute Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy dolls. She does have quite a creative talent.


8) She directed a musical melodrama. When we moved to the States, our hometown had a celebration called Black and White Days. Basically, it was a place where you can show your cows. They also had a hometown melodrama and my mom was chosen to direct it. She worked hard on it, I was at a lot of the practices helping out, so I know how many hours she put into it. The musical was called "Monster Soup" (if I remember right) and it was a big success.

9) Her favorite author is Belva Plain. She has all her books in paperback. My mom likes to read and always has a novel.


10) She likes action movies. My mom and I went to see movies together often but one of the ones I remember going together to was Face Off. We were the only ones in the theatre and we were both on the edge of our seats. She also liked Robocop and Predator quite a bit.

So there are some little things you may not have known about my mom. And looking back at the list I can see where I have picked some things up.

Thanks Mom! I appreciate all you do for me and the stuff you have passed on to me.

Love ya!

4 comments:

  1. I too love your mom. Seeing your mom's house reminded me of when we lived there-oh the memories. I have loved reading about your life-glad I was a part of it for a little while. Take care and happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise: Every Christmas when I hear "Let It Snow" I think of you and your sisters. Remember when Damond was asking a girl out to the Christmas Dance and you guys were singing and I was supposed to record it? Oh yeah, I forgot to take the lens cap off. I'm such a doofus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool that she got to buy the house she loved as a child. Your list makes it very evident that you and your mom enjoy spending time together. Yay for moms!

    ReplyDelete